same as it ever was (talking heads)

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Favorite 100 Songs List: 100-91

Lists are a major reason I was pumped about starting this whole blog thing. Here's my favorite 100 songs from my cd collection, I'll give the song title, artist, and album that I pulled it from. Fell free to enjoy and criticize.

100. Oily Water: Blur; Modern Life is Rubbish Horror show guitar histrionics from Graham Coxon throughout. Damon Albarn sounds like he's singing through a megaphone. I think the oily water in question is some bad acid. Blur really excels when they push their sound towards the experimental as they do on this song.

99. Into the Groove:Madonna; Immaculate Collection The 80's were all about parastroika, blow, and Madonna. Love or hate her (mostly hate now) she was THE cultural icon for the MTV generation. Also I like this song so it's #99. The greatest thing about Madonna is the sheer number of high comedy moments she's supplied us with over the years; talking w/ a faux British accent for 5 or so years, writing children "Lit.", and Swept Away, to count just a few.

98. Ana NG: They Might Be Giants; Best of 120 Minutes vol. 1 Wow, amazon doesn't have a link to this cd, but they do for volume 2 so I just put that up, it's an excellent cd too. Anyway weird lyrics, great guitar work, a fast-paced sort of "rocker?" (kind of). Just remember, "I don't want the world, I just want your hat"

97. Guilt is a Useless Emotion: New Order; Waiting for the Sirens Call 20 some odd years into their career and a classic NO song. All great NO trademarks here danceable, catchy as hell, great bass work.

96. Mezzanine: Massive Attack; Mezzanine These guys pretty much invented trip-hop (a genre I'm cool with) w/ their album Blue Lines. This song is a slow builder it really starts to take off three minutes in and it closes like a thoroughbred. Dark and menacing, I'd love to get a lap dance to this song.

95. Too Far Apart: Wilco; A.M. I bet Tom Petty is pretty jealous about this song. Perfect bar rock from Wilco's first release, one of my favorite album enders of all-time.

94. The Undefeated: Super Furry Animals; Phantom Power Mix in an islandish groove, menacing guitar, some horns, electronic blips, and machine gun fire, it somehow works to near perfection.

93. The Negotiation Limerick File: Beastie Boys; Hello Nasty This is the song they'd play at one of those block-style type parties that I imagine they have in Brooklyn, to get the place jumpin or crunk or what have you. Hello Nasty was a great album, too bad To the 5 Boroughs was a piece of shit.

92. Shudder, King of Snake: Underworld; Beaucoup Fish I won't lie to you I really like house music. I imagine it's akin to liking disco in the 70's, meaning all of your friends hate it and you become an easy target for ridicule. So be it, I like it damnit! And this song makes me want to eat 2 rolls and put a glow stick in my mouth.

91. I Wanna Be Adored: The Stone Roses; Complete Stone Roses A heavy bass line and lyrics about the devil, a combustible combination. What I really appreciate about this song though is the honesty in the lyrics, most people want to be adored, but they wouldn't tell you that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Utter bullshit...N'SYnc better appear in 81-90!

Saturday, July 16, 2005 5:47:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

this is a GREAT idea. I look fwd to reading the continuuing list.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 10:38:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Thanks Sat '75, I appreciate that. Sorry Pig, no N'Sync to be found here.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home