same as it ever was (talking heads)

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Over/Under (Love Kraft)

In an attempt to merge my admiration of gambling with my love of music reviews, I'm going to start the over/under. Here's how it works: I'm going pick an album that is coming out and has yet to be reviewed by pitchforkmedia.com and I'm going to look at how pitchfork reviewed some of (whatever band I'm doing this for's) previous albums. I'm then going to set the rating number and if you can then comment on if you think the pitchfork review will be over or under the number I set. Pretty simple actually, and you can't win any money really but I'm pretty bored today so I came up with this stupid idea. Why pitchforkmedia you ask? I, like you, probably don't understand half of what they are saying in their reviews, but pitchfork is an institution in the whole music/blogger zeitgeist, so why not use it as the bar.

The first album that will get an over/under is The Super Furry Animals August 22nd release Love Kraft. If you're not hip to these mofo's, they are definitely worth checking out. Fans of Ween or the Flaming Lips won't be disappointed. Pitchfork reviewed and rated each of their two previous albums Phantom Power and Rings Around the World both with an 8.9 Pretty solid stuff. I think that since they rated those last two albums so high that they will rate this one a tad bit lower so I'm setting the over/under at:

8.3
I think the smart money is on over, but no telling. Also you can't really win anything but if you guess the pitchfork review correctly I'll owe you a drink (that is, if I know you) So there you go, maybe this isn't such a stupid idea after-all, it could maybe help you get drunk or more drunk.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Bones said...

Hmmm... Without hearing it... actually, without ever hearing these guys... I'm gonna say under. Is that all I have to do? And I'll guess 6.8, just for shits. I figure, if Pitchfork's been complimentary to these guys for two albums, aren't they obliged to bust their balls on the third? Have they been on any soundtracks lately? If so, I'll guess 5.4. If I'm wrong, cgpop, I'll buy you a ... uh... cigarette.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

6.7

Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:37:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Bones we'll lock you in for a 6.8, sat '75 a 6.7, pretty good guesses here considering the high ratings for the last two albums.

Monday, August 01, 2005 12:42:00 PM

 
Anonymous Max said...

Max -

I am also going with the under here! I bear shared (CGPOP notice the word share in my made up adjective) a few of the songs and gave them a personal score of 6.3. If I am on can I get any drink I want? If I am wrong I say "that site sucks"

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:04:00 PM

 
Anonymous elliott said...

official review came out today...8.5. cgpop is pretty good.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:15:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here! I am going to bookmark this one.

Play free online gamestoday at arcade queen

free arcade town gamefree arcade town game

Play until you drop but whatever you do don't let your boss catch you!

Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:32:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Check out tropical fish supplier

Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Hey,

Very nice blog and some interesting posts. Have a look at my new bit torrent site called - Mininova -

Thanks

Monday, October 31, 2005 4:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work http://www.backpacks-3.info/Convection_ovens_nebraska.html Body part volvo Cold coffee maker http://www.antidepressant-zoloft-dosage.info/Antidepressant-drug-use-in-adolescents.html http://www.wells-fargo-refinance-3.info/Cooter-web-site-marketing.html

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home