same as it ever was (talking heads)

Thursday, August 11, 2005

"A Better Place To Live!"

tomorrow I'm leaving to go to a wedding in Winfield, Alabama (I'm guessing it was founded in 1891, but I don't know if anybody, except the guy who put the sign up, realizes that it exists). The city slogan is "A Better Place To Live!" very cryptic and vague. Better than where, Atlanta? East St. Louis? Beirut? After checking out the website (which I can't put a link to, b/c blogger won't publish this post if I do) I'm going to disagree with that tagline.

On the website they have a "big" event every year called "Mule Day" which comes around on the fourth Saturday of every September. There's a mule parade and mule judging (not making this up). This all sounds like a blast, but my mule is currently in the shop and I don't think she'll be ready until mid-October. I do sit here and wonder how "Mule Day" originated. I'd like to think that it was a somber day back in 1902 when the mayor/town mascot "Sugartooth" wandered a tad too close to the railroad tracks. In "Sugartooth"'s memory, the local ranchers and farmhands started "Mule Day" to commemorate the forward thinking local municipal government changes that "Sugartooth" implemented before getting caught under a train on that unseasonably warm late September afternoon.

Anyway, another cool thing that I learned from the website is that the Appalachian Mountain Range starts in Winfield (and runs all the way up to Maine! By them no good carpet-bagging Yanks!!). Other news that has traveled my direction is the fact that Winfield is a dry country. Meaning they don't serve alcohol of any kind in the entire county?! I find this ironic because in my estimation the people of Winfield's main source of enjoyment should evolve around drinking themselves silly. This way they could, somewhat help, compensate for the fact of actually living in Winfield, Alabama. Anyway I'll be on a posting hiatus until I return Sunday.

editor's note: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh (me screaming and making Macaulay Culkin face from Home Alone)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Bones said...

This "dry" town is going to be in for a rude awakening on Saturday...

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

dry counties blow. believe dat.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 1:13:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
»

Friday, December 01, 2006 11:38:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read here

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:43:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home