same as it ever was (talking heads)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dream Band



In the September 2004 issue of Spin, Chuck Klosterman had an interesting article about building your personal ideal rock band. Your band has a singer, a guitarist, a bass player, a drummer and one "wild card" musician. The band would have to record a studio album and then tour to support it. He had a couple of different rules like the singer can't both play guitar and sing in your group, but I'm throwing that shit out, the only original rule I'm keeping is that you can't have multiple members from the same band. I say this because I'd like to know what your list is in the comments section. Here goes my list.

1. Lead singer; David Byrne (formerly Talking Heads): Totally original front man who can also play a mean axe. His vocals are unique and will never be replicated by anyone. Plus, he is great live, his postmodern duckwalk/chickendance is a sight to see. He's also a producer and all-around musical genius to boot. I can't really even think of anyone who comes close, in my mind, as a second option.

2. Lead guitar; Graham Coxon (formerly Blur): Plain and simple this dude can wail, in maybe geeky Brit-rock way, but that stuff's right up my alley. He's an amazing live player but his real genius comes through in the studio, check out 13 if you don't believe me. Plus he can sing, pimp Coffee and Tv off 13 or one of his many solo albums for proof. I personally love bands that have more than one lead singer.

3. Bass; Kim Deal (formerly, currently? Pixies): Saw the Pixies last fall at the Fox, far and away I think Deal stole the show. She can play heavy or fast, but she's always recognizable. Throw in the fact that Deal sings as well, Gigiantic (sick bass line) etc. and there's no way I can pass her up as my bassist.

4. Wild Card; Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead): Anyone who has seen Radiohead live can attest to the fact that Greenwood is an unstoppable force. This guy is amazing in concert, I don't even know what the fuck he's doing half of the time but it looks totally sweet (like when he's plugging shit into the circuit board or swinging around that radio box with the antenna). Oh yeah, he's also a guitar prodigy.

5. Drummer; Sam Fogarino (Interpol): Don't know too much about the drummers, but I do know that I love Interpol and the rhythm section is a major reason why. I also think that his drumming would mesh really well with the overall assembly that I have above. Plus I really just need a role player here with all the talent already on board.

There you go, hit up the comments for your choices.

10 Comments:

Blogger Martin McFriend said...

Dude, great post. Can't wait to see some responses.

I'll go with:

Lead singer: Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz). Hate to steal your Blur thunder but these guys are the best modern brit pop band and Albarn's one-of-a-kind voice brings some authority and distinction to the project. Plus his tendency to branch out shows his amazing versatility. He wrote the score to one of the most underrated horror films of the past decade Ravenous. And if you haven't checked it out, you must ASAP, as Albarn's score is the linchpin to the project, quirky and fucking badass.

Lead guitar: Johnny Marr (Smiths). This one was tough for me because, obviously, there are so many motherfuckers out there to choose from. In the end, I selected Marr due to several factors. 1) His notes paced the Smiths' moody darkness in a way that allowed every song to sound good before you, the listener, passed your judgment on Morrissey's often sappy, often upbeat and often tirading signatures. 2) I feel he would fit well with Albarn, as they could speak their cockney shit together when coming up with new ideas. 3) He's demonstrated that he can range between and among rock, post-modern, dance, blues and other styles for an all-around pleasing urban vibe.

Bass: Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers). I think I need my group to have both the skill to perform polished music but also be completely deranged at times. I'm talking all night drug parties, LA-style street freaks, dancing around on stage with a sock on your dick type shit. Flea is my man here. He is dirty and raw and has his own eccentric style, but his taciturn nature and not-so-good looks prevent him from bumping heads with the other egos. Plus he rocks out.

Drums: Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan). Like many great rock stars, Chamberlain had some drug problems, which, coupled with Billy Corgan's twisted ego and Zod complex, contributed to what was the destruction of my favorite 90s alt-rock band. This guy could get downright nasty and was one of the reasons I always thought that the drums offered more than just a beat with the Pumpkins, rather, they became a unique calling card of the band. Exhibit A: Silverfuck.

Wild Card: Andre 3000 (Outkast). Why not? This motherfucker has been around for a dozen years and has constantly reinvented himself in every effort. He's shown a great respect and knowledge for genres that are often overlooked in the hip hop world, like jazz, blues, grunge and disco, and he offers up style and charisma unlike any other. This band could cover Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, T-Rex and Nirvana in one sitting and my bet says Dre would pull it off with class and funk.

Left off the list, but first alternate: David Bowie. Hello, can he be our sound guy? Also, my list may have changed if I wouldn't have narrowed the field of consideration to the deceased. But, alas, I want mine to still a mathematical plausibility.

Shakes.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Best post yet. Why the fuck didnt I think of this?? Touche' -- Anyway...this is really hard b/c you have to take into consideration what "kind" of band it is going to be. Funk? Roots Rocks? Country? Punk? etc. Because of this, I give you my dream funk/soul/groove band.

Drummer: Stewart Copeland of The Police. This guy is sick. Can play anything and keeps time like Big Ben while pushing the groove along al the while.

Bass duties: This is tricky. The bass can anchor a song and/or run it, so depending on what youre trying do it depends. My vote is George Porter from the Meters. He can do both and steal yer woman too.

Keys/(primary)Vocals/rhythm guitar: Dr. John. I read his biography. The guy is a fucking witch doctor from New Orleans. Enough said.

Trey Anatasio: Lead Guitar. I wouldnt let him sing, but if you know anything about music, you know he's the shit on lead.

Stevie Wonder: Keys & Vocals. The genius & one of my all-time favorite artists.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:54:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

That is some wonderful effort given by you guys. I'd like to see each of the bands described above.
I thought of another line-up I'd like to see
1.James Brown
2.Jimmy Hendrix
3.Bootsy Collins
4.Charlie Parker(wild-card)
5.QuestLove Thompson
Those fuckers would tear the roof down (throwing mathmatical plausibility out the window for this set, funny stuff). Anyhow great responses so far, hope to keep it up.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Alt-Country Line Up:

Ryan Adams (of whiskeytown)- guitar/vocals

Jay Farar (of son volt) - Guitar/vocal

Bucky Baxter (Dylan's band) Lap Pedal Steel-Guitar

John Stirrat (Wilco) bass duties

Levon Helm (The Band) Drums

*alternating wild cards:
#1 lucinda williams (vocals)
#2 kathleen edwards (vocals)

Thursday, August 04, 2005 3:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Martin McFriend said...

Good shit. Some NYERD out there probably has a computer program that could simulate all this, though it wouldn't do it justice.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

tell Sasefina to get over here and create her band

Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:20:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Totally addictive stuff, I've thought about, formed and re-formed my band for almost a year now.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:39:00 PM

 
Blogger CHW said...

This is a difficult choice. As Satisfied 75 knows I'm a huge Copeland fan, he'd be my first pick on drums. But for the sake of mixing it up, I'll choose Brian Blade. Then I'd put Bill Laswell on bass, Nels Cline on guitar, have Fela Kuti roaming the stage as my wild card jamming on sax/keys, and then have Joe Strummer front the whole outfit. It would be one whacked out show.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:55:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! circuit breaker ebook Chevrolet engine Breast implants for men jefferson Travel details email password reset returned username

Friday, March 02, 2007 8:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:55:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home