same as it ever was (talking heads)

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Feeling "productive" today: songs 70-51

70. Life in a Glass House: Radiohead; Amnesiac Total hit or miss album (mostly miss), they save the best for last. New Orleans dirge music, boozy piano and drunk horns. Thom Yorke has perfect ironic delivery here, "There's someone listening in"

69. The District Sleeps Tonight: Postal Service; Give Up I've invented the term nerdtronica for the genre of music the PS kicks out. No matter what you call it, this was a solid debut. This song is a slow builder that shifts into hyperkinetic mode by the end. The solid guitar work eventually gives way to catchy beats. I bet this song is huge on the Georgia Tech rave scene.

68. Price of Gas: Bloc Party; Silent Alarm These guys hang out with thecobrasnake a tad too much for my liking, but what are you going to do? You should believe the hype concerning the release of Silent Alarm, their first album. Many great songs here but this one rises above the rest. Bass and guitar work are otherworldly, also cool noises and synths thrown in. The last two minutes of this song are near perfect.

67. Stella was a Diver: Interpol; Turn on the Bright Lights Love the song intro. I can't say enough about these dudes (TOTBL and Antics are probably my two favorite releases of the new millenium). Paul Banks voice is amazing (as always) here. I like the pacing of this song switching between mid-tempo and slowed down. Kessler and Banks guitar work complement each other perfectly, rhythm section is tight, as is the norm.

66. Unhappy: Outkast; Speakerboxxx Dre3K may get more pub (he's the cool one afterall) but Big Boi comes up with the best song off this double release. I always get the music goosebumps listening to this song. One of those songs that sounds upbeat and happy, but it's actually depressing lyrically. This reminds me of old school Outkast, laid back and chill.

65. More Than This: Roxy Music; The Best of Roxy Music I admit, I copped this song after seeing Lost in Translation. Brian Ferry almost sounds like a chick, but somehow it works. I just like the atmosphere and mood of this song.

64. All I Know: Basement Jaxx; Rooty Chilled house/lounge song alert (again). The thing that makes this song great are the dark and dubby beats. It has an electronic Jamaican dance-hall vibe that permeates throughout, and in this instance that's a good thing.

63. Black and White Town: Doves; Some Cities The looped piano drives this song. I can't get enough of the atmospherics that Doves employ in their music, on display here. I can't believe this song wasn't a radio hit. Also perplexing to me is the fact that Coldplay are bigger than these guys, it doesn't make any sense.

62. Blackstar: Radiohead; The Bends Many people think The Bends is Radiohead's best album, I disagree, but this album is terrific, start to finish, none the less. This song didn't get as much fanfare as some others (High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, etc.) but for my money it steals the show.

61. Island in the Sun: Weezer; The Green Album Perfect pop music here, I think that's the best way to describe this song. It'll also put a smile on your face. The video was pretty stupid though, with all those fucking chimpanzees.

60. Twinkle: Whipping Boy; Heartworm Worst band name ever? Sure. Still this is one of the best mid-90's brit-rock songs ever made. This song came out when I was in High School. I remeber an instance when I was riding in a friend's car and this song came on the radio, I made eveyone stop talking until the song was over (even though I had just recently purchased the cd)

59. Crank: Catherine Wheel; Chrome Much props to aquariumdrunkradio for playing some cool Catherine Wheel I not heard before (not up now, but trust me it was). I still don't understand how this band didn't connect on this side of the pond, the world may never know. Crank was their big hit for obvious reasons, the thing I said (above) about one the best mid 90's Brit-rock songs of all-time, that statement definitely applies here.

58. Subterranean Homesick Blues: Bob Dylan; Bringing It All Back Home By far my favorite Dylan song (I'm a novice, as you can see the majority of my musical tastes lie elsewhere). The lyrics are amazing (it's Dylan afterall). I also love the fact that INXS ripped off this (music video? was it the first? you know where Bob is peeling off certain words to the song) for Mediate.

57. Mirror in the Bathroom: The Englsih Beat; Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack Said mirror in the bathroom- isn't the type where you check your faux-hawk and make sure your collar on your polo is still flipped up the whole way, it's the portable type used for Charlie intake. This song is an example of pop Brit-Ska firing on all cylindars. Jittery and manic with perfect saxophone? (I usally hate when the sax pops up in songs that aren't jazz oriented, to me it sounds cheesy as fuck, not the case here). Plus props go out this soundtrack compilation, Violent Femmes, Faith No More, The Clash, you get the point.

56. Love My Way: Psychadelic Furs; The Wedding Singer Soundtrack A fucking xylaphone? (this isn't the correct spelling, see editor's note) I think, drives this song (only in the 80's). Perfect 80's style synths and a killer bass make this song a new-wave classic. Also props to this soundtrack compliation, too bad I already had all the good Smiths, New Order, and Bowie previously in my collection.

55. M1A1: Gorillaz; Gorillaz Music freak-out best describes this song. Maybe the most overt Blurish sounding song on the album. Albarn goes nuts here (check the screaming) and it rules. The drums bang away as a crazy-ass guitar takes us home.

54. Unison: Bjork; Vespertine The vocals, strings, and skitterish electronic beats work in great, dare I say, unison here. This song picks up steam as it progresses and ends up all trip-hoppy in a Bjork sort of way (Any ladies out there who want to get their "Bjork" on, hit me up at culgoespop@gmail.com, refer to song #79 to find out what I'm talking about, this is basically a continuation of that joke)

53. Everything Counts; Depeche Mode: Singles 81-85 My favorite early Depeche Mode song. Great vocals, Gahan and Gore sound eerily similar. Just can't get enough (anyone get that?) of that middle eastern sounding horn that pops in and out of the song.

52. Mainstream; Outkast: ATLiens Splash...solid Goodie Mob cameos and chilled out R&B tinged production. Andre 3000's lyrics steal the show though. I love the fact that he talks shit about how other rap music is repetitive, shallow, and clueless to these facts (a constant theme in his rhyming over the years). BTW this album is wicked-sick, in my mind Aquemini just barely beats it out as Outkast's best.

51. (part 1) Two Months Off; Underworld: A Hundred Days Off Straight up house music. This song is a 9+minute epic, simple as that.

51. (part 2) Once in a Lifetime; Talking Heads: Remain in Light First off, while compiling this list I accidentally put an extra song in, so we have two 51's and 101 total. Sue me. This song needs no introduction, Talking Heads biggest hit. Love Byrne's schizophrenic lyrics and paranoid delivery. Brian Eno is doing a lot of production-type shit that I don't know how to properly explain. Weymouth's bass hits like an uppercut.

editor's note: The spell-check didn't want to work after I finished this post.

12 Comments:

Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Great list man! I totally agree about the Catherine Wheel - wha' happened??

I.E. Depeche Mode - fantastic song.

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:36:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

thanks dude, keep the mp3's coming.

Monday, August 08, 2005 9:03:00 AM

 
Blogger Brent said...

Whoever thinks the Bends is the best Radiohead album should be forced to attend every Backstreet Boys concert from here til eternity.

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:48:00 PM

 
Anonymous Cougar said...

Depeche Mode - awesome their best song. Didn't expect to see that here.

Monday, August 08, 2005 7:18:00 PM

 
Blogger CHW said...

I was just listening to the English Beat on the way to work this morning. Love it!

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:15:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

The Bends is good Pig, but I (probably like you) feel that OK Computer and Kid A are superior albums. I would rank the Bends third in their canon. I'm glad everyone likes the DM, saw them in concert about 3-4 years ago and they didn't play Everything Counts, I was pretty pissed off. English Beat is solid chw, they have another amazing song but I forgot the name.

Monday, August 08, 2005 11:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

i might have to put Violar in w/ all this douche mode talk going on.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Brent said...

You're right; and I would place Bends 3rd, followed by Hail to the Thief I guess since I am not a giant fan of Amnesiac.

Subterranean Homesick Blues - great song, great album; I know everyone worships Blonde on Blonde, but I prefer Blood on the Tracks - check it out if you haven't already.

Very anxious to see where "Paranoid Android" and "This Must Be the Place" rank...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:19:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Violator is the bomb. You'll have to wait Pig, one of those two doesn't make it.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:30:00 AM

 
Blogger sasefina said...

I love a man who is not afraid to get his Bjork on. Unison and Pagan Poetry were the highligths off Vespertine, but Possibly Maybe off of Post is probably maybe my fave Bjork song ever. Or maybe Joga.

I'm amazed that you've actually been able to rank your top 100 songs ever. I don't think I could do it. Too fickle.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:23:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent list.

english beat. perhaps the other song you were thinking of was either "i confess" or "save it for later"? all great tracks.

depeche mode. violator. top notch album. i didn't love "everything counts" until i heard it off of their live album (101).

and i love interpol, but may be the only one who doesn't love "stella".

keep the new wave coming...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:35:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Sasefina, coming up with the list was a very unscientific (but time consuming) process. So these aren't really set in stone, but I'm sticking with it for now. Also anonymous, "save it for later" was exactly the other awesome English Beat song I couldn't remember, good job. I think there's some more new-wave coming too.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 6:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home