same as it ever was (talking heads)

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

First MTV video you remember

As a young tyke I lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for about three years. One of my most vivid memories from that time-period was seeing my first ever music video on MTV (circa 1984). The first video I saw was Lucky Star. If you click on that link you can watch the music video in its entirety, the production values aren't quiet what they are today, but I remember thinking that Madonna was hot (even at 7 years old) and MTV was the coolest thing I had ever seen up to that point in my life (insert current state of MTV joke here). Shortly after I moved to Atlanta and my mom somehow got hip to the fact that I was watching a lot of MTV, she walked in one day and saw me watching "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (The Police video where Sting is wearing sunglasses and running around knocking over candles, maybe it was "King of Pain") and forbid me to watch MTV. So I had to get my MTV on the sly for about year or so after that. Anyway just wondering if anyone out there remembers the first music video they ever saw, if so what is it?

editor's note: Other highlights from my Texas years include, getting hit in the eye with a baseball and watching some kid blow up a frog with an M-80.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A-Ha Take on me

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 1:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

I can't say I remember the first music video I've ever seen. It must of never been a good video if I can't remember it. Heh.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 2:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

michael jackson's "billie jean" I had to ask my babysitter if it was a girl or a boy as he was so androgenous.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:08:00 PM

 
Blogger CHW said...

Herbie Hancock "Rockit". And it wasn't even on a legitimate station. It was some folks on the local cable access who started playing videos. That was 1983. Pretty progressive dudes.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:21:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

That MJ shit is classic Sat '75. Definitely some forward thinking dudes there CHW.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 5:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Brent said...

I'd probably say Video Killed the Radio Star, Whip It, or Fish Heads Fish Heads Rolly Polly Fish Heads.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:47:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Rolly Polly Fish Heads! Unbelievable stuff.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:13:00 PM

 
Blogger TripleJ said...

Golden Earring, "Twilight Zone" -- loved seeing that bullet go through the playing card.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:49:00 AM

 
Anonymous Bones said...

"I Want Candy" by...Bow Wow Wow, wasn't it?

Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:40:00 PM

 
Anonymous Chops said...

Chops here.

Probably dates me a bit, but I remember Video Killed the Radio Star...watching it w/ my sis' back when the whole thing started. KIR.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:32:00 PM

 
Blogger U2isOverratedandSucksTerribly-WorstBandEver said...

Mine was "I want my MTV".. I believe it was by Eddie Money?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:52:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home