same as it ever was (talking heads)

Monday, September 26, 2005

Blender top 500 songs of last 25 years

For whatever reason I started getting Blender in the mail about three months ago. I don't pay for it or anything, but I still get it. Anyway, the magazine is so-so, fair at best, but today in the mail they had a really cool issue where they listed the top 500 songs of the last 25 years. As some of you know I'm still counting down my favorite 100 songs. So in this post I'm going to put my and Blender's duplicate picks. I'll put the # we each picked the song at too, there are some spoilers for my songs on the list, so consider this sentence a spoiler alert (I'll list the song but I won't list the position on my countdown seeing as I still have 20 to unveil). Cool, onto our duplicate picks, I'll give some commentary too.

"Love Will Tear Us Apart", Joy Division: Blender #7/ cultgoespop #? (top 20): I was surprised to see this song so high on the Blender list, great pick by them though as anyone who has listened to this song knows.

"Monkey Gone To Heaven", Pixies: Blender #48/ cultgoespop #? (top 20): I am very glad that the Monkey actually made it to heaven, very surprised though b/c he really liked to throw his feces at zoo bystanders.

"Karma Police", Radiohead": Blender #58/ cultgoespop #38: For those of you who didn't know (I'm sure a bunch of you did already) Radiohead named themselves Radiohead after the Talking Heads song "Radiohead".

"How Soon Is Now?", The Smiths: Blender #59/ cultgoespop #? (top 20):

Dark Helmet: "What the hell am I looking at?...When does this happen in the movie?"
Colonel Sandurz: "Now, you're looking at now sir...Everything that happens now is happening now."
Dark Helmet: "What happened to then?"
Colonel Sandurz: "We passed it."
DH: "When?"
CS: "Just now...We're at now now."
DH: "Go back to then?"
CS: "When?"
DH: "Now."
CS: "Now?"
DH: "Now."
CS: "I can't."
DH: "Why?"
CS: "We missed it."
DH: "When?"
CS: "Just now."
DH: "When will then be now?"
CS: "Soon!"
DH: "How Soon?"
Technician: "Sir!"
DH: "What?"
Technician: "We've identified their location!"
DH: "Where?"
Technician: "It's the moon of Vega."
CS: "Good work. Set a course and prepare for our arrival."
DH: "When?!"
Technician: "Nineteen hundred hours sir!"
CS: "By high noon tomorrow they will be our prisoners!"
DH: "WHO?!?!?"
mask falls in front of face

"Into the Groove", Madonna: Blender #87/ cultgoespop #99: I knew someone else liked this song.

"Around the World", Daft Punk: Blender #157/ cultgoespop #35: Daft Punk supposedly got their name from a British music journalist that called their music "daft punk" (they had a punk band before they became DJ's) (I didn't make this up, I promise, I heard it somewhere).

"More Than This", Roxy Music: Blender #195/ cultgoespop #65: Scarlet Johansen supposedly thinks that I'm "totally hot" (I did make this up).

"Once In A Lifetime", Talking Heads: Blender #224/ cultgoespop #50: David Byrne supposedly thinks that Scarlet Johansen is "totally hot".

"Where Is My Mind?", Pixies: Blender #236/ cultgoespop #? (top 20): In my humble estimation, at the end of Fight Club, when this song starts to play and the buildings explode, it is the best song usage (non-diagetic) that I've ever seen in a film.

"Lips Like Sugar", Echo and the Bunneymen: Blender #283/ cultgoespop #? (top 20): Echo is the name of the drum machine that the band used. The rest of them are named Bunneymen b/c they really liked to fuck rabbits.

"Games Without Frontiers", Peter Gabriel: Blender #353/ cultgoespop #49: Peter Gabriel is actually made of play-doh (like in his video for "Big Time", he's kinda like Gumbi or Pokey)

"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", The Smiths: Blender #431/ cultgoespop #41: Morrissey's favorite movie is Spaceballs.

"Gigiantic", Pixies: Blender #474/ cultgoespop #31: That's what she said.

"I Wanna Be Adored", Stone Roses: Blender #484/ cultgoespop #91: She said that too, um, I mean, I'm out of ideas here.

editor's note: Song #'s 1 and 500 were by some of my homeboys. Number 1 was "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson. Number 500 was "Yellow" by Coldplay. Funny shit.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; how to buy & sell everything, like music on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

Monday, September 26, 2005 6:35:00 PM

 
Blogger Brent said...

Who are these internet nerds that spam blogs with advertising? Grow a pair and get out bitch.

Excellent "Spaceballs" excerpt!

Monday, September 26, 2005 8:42:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Gotta love "Spaceballs". I think a computer generates it, like a real evil computer, and yes it totally sucks. I can put up a word verification thing, but I'm going that route yet.

Monday, September 26, 2005 11:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

dude, sometimes people sign me up for mags and i get them for about 3 months. pretty sweeet. feel free to spam me with music rags internets.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:34:00 AM

 
Anonymous Max said...

Did not know you are such a Pixies fan, am a little surprised cause man that concert in Atlanta they put on totaly sucked and by totaly sucked I mean SUCKED.

Also, doesn't this monkeys gone to heaven just go

"this monkey gone to heaven"
"this monkey gone to heaven"
"this monkey gone to heaven"
"this monkey gone to heaven"
"this monkey gone to heaven"
"this monkey gone to heaven"

Over and over again?? Brilliant lyrics.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:53:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Why the hate man? That Pixies show was good. I guess that's what happens to people who never listen to the band but make sure to go to the concert.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Cougs said...

are you telling me after that show you were like "hey that is a good concert???" cause you certainly did not say that

They sucked, I guess that is what happens to a band way past their prime who does not care about their shows or fans anymore and whos music sucks live... They were not even trying on stage.

At least the black eyed pees would jump around and dance and stuff, well OK that would suck also, but not by a whole lot more than the pixies show. The chick isn't even hot anymore but I would still show her "gigantic"

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 2:06:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Interesting "Cougs", because after the show I remember saying that it was a good show and that I really liked it. I remember mentioning I was really happy that they played 12 out of 15 songs from Doolittle, and I was a little bummed they didn't play "Planet Of Sound", but I was happy with the whole concert. But thanks for inventing a different reaction to my concert going experience for me, interesting stuff.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

i saw kim deal at the mcdonalds at LAX at 5am in 2001. she looked hungover/tired, but was nice enough to indulfe my fanboy pestering.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:17:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Tell me she was eating a Fish-o-Filet.

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:56:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Silver pearl mercedes Mitsubishi tv parts http://www.plastic-surgery-chicago.info/seat-cover-ups.html Group men to men sex

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 12:22:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home