same as it ever was (talking heads)

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Infinite Jest: an excerpt

editor's note: The whole blogging hobby has really cut into my reading. I've been reading the same book now for going on five months now. I've made some mention of it before, it's the David Foster Wallace novel Infinite Jest. The book is 1,079 pages in length but still, I really want to finish it because I have a bunch more shit I want to read. So I was trying to knock some off today (I've got about 200 or so pages left) when I came across a hilarious passage that basically sum up my current feelings about football (American version) after my gambling debacle of yesterday. Bitter much? Me...Yeah, I guess so, but this particular reading came for me at the exact perfect time, it was cathartic really. BTW that's DFW w/ a mean-ass looking dog.

A grunting, crunching ballet of repressed homoeroticism, football, Mrs. Steeply, on my view. The exaggerated breadth of the shoulders, the masked eradication of facial personality, the emphasis on contact-vs.-avoidance-of-contact. The gains in terms of penetration and resistance. The tight pants that accentuate the gluteals and hamstrings and what look for all the world like codpieces. The gradual slow shift of venue to "artificial surface," "artificial turf." Don't the pants' fronts look fitted with codpieces? And have a look at these men whacking each other's asses after a play. It is like Swinburne sat down on his soul's darkest night and designed an organized sport. And pay no attention to Orin's defense of football as a ritualized substitute for armed conflict. Armed conflict is plenty ritualized on its own, and since we have real armed conflict (take a spin through Boston's Roxbury and Mattapan districts some evening) there is no need or purpose for a substitute. Football is pure homophobically repressed nancy-ism, and do not let O. tell you different.

3 Comments:

Blogger marathonpacks said...

I got 1/3 through "Jest" and gave up. That was a few years ago, and it sits on my bookshelf, bookmark in place, waiting to be fully devoured.

Huzzah to you for getting through the full monster!

Monday, September 19, 2005 1:42:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Not across the finish line yet, but I hope to be soon. A terrific book by all accounts, the footnotes are annoying though.

Monday, September 19, 2005 5:46:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

Monday, March 05, 2007 10:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home