same as it ever was (talking heads)

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Favorite 100 Songs List: 10-1!!!!!!!


10. "Blue Monday": New Order; The Best of New Order Ummm, this is a pretty obvious pick (like most of the top ten). No one has, before or since, been able to meld dance songs into pop hits quite like New Order. They are a tragically under-rated band, remarkably still cranking out solid music. Their musical canon is stellar, but this song is still the crown jewel.

9. "How Soon Is Now?": The Smiths; The Best of the Smiths, Volume 1 Everyone has that friend (sometimes, more than one) that hates British music. Well this is the song that that Brit rock hating friend of yours likes. I had a room-mate in college who thought I listened to weird music, a conversation we once had..."Dude what was that song you were listening to in your room a little while ago?" "I don't know, how does it sound?" "The guitar sounds like, well, like weeeuuuuuuuuu, kinda like that." "It's How Soon is Now, by the Smiths, I thought you hated my music?" "I do, but I love that song". Johnny Marr's guitar is perfect and Morrissey has never been better.

8. "One More Time": Daft Punk; Discovery People who hate house music? This is the song they like, if they tell you they don't they are lying to you. I can understand why people don't like Daft Punk or dance music in general (I like both) but somehow this song is able to transcend the preconceived notions people have about house music. Note to wedding DJ's, why the fuck don't you dudes play this at weddings? I'm fucking sick of hearing tired late 80's early 90's rap songs at weddings. Trust me this song is infinitely more danceable (and cooler) than "Baby got Back".

7. "Where is my Mind?": The Pixies; Surfer Rosa Haunting is the best way to describe this song. Immediate chill inducer. The lyrics, backing vocals, main vocals,lead guitar, bass, drums, acoustic guitar, all money. Using this song at the end of Fight Club only adds to the mystic that it possesses. Please don't tell me you don't like this song Max, please.

6. "Disintegration": The Cure; Disintegration Recognized by most as the Cure's best album, the self-title track is the highlight (impressive considering the utter solidness of the whole thing). Driving bass and synthesizers help sustain the 8+ minute run time. This is a song of epic proportions, a longer song that doesn't lag at any time, the whole thing is top notch. The breaking glass is a nice touch too.

5. "Love Will Tear Us Apart": Joy Division; 24 Hour Party People Sad, gloomy, fantastic. I'm not much of a lyrics guy (this is probably why I like dance music, and am not that much into the singer/songwriter set) but I've always liked the "love will tear us apart again" lyric in this song, simple and yet somehow tragic (I can't understand anything else he's saying really). As for the music, tight and manic with great atmospherics, spectacular really.

4. "There Goes The Fear": Doves; The Last Broadcast The whole song is great, but the "You turned around and life's passed you by...think of me when you're coming down..." parts are so good that they alone warranted such a high ranking on my list. I can see a direct Talking Heads influence in this song (circa Remain In Light). Coldplay could never dream of making a song this good.

3. "Idioteche": Radiohead; Kid A This is the exact point where a lot of people fell off the Radiohead turnip truck, to me it's their hands down finest moment. I'm afraid that this exact song on this album was the peak of Radiohead (it's been a somewhat downhill slide since this point, at least in my eyes, Hail To The thief was half good, I'd rather not really talk about Amnesiac). In my mind, RH was just making music that made them happy on this album since then I thing they've cracked under the pressure to re-create Ok Computer, a discussion for a later time I guess. Anyway, I love this song, an unstoppable force in my eyes.

2. "Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)": Talking Heads; Remain in Light Starts off RIL with a BANG! I remember the first time I popped this CD in, I couldn't get past this song. I probably listened to it six or seven times straight, I was floored (and still am today by it). The great thing about this song is that the Heads and Eno are both able to shine. The polyrhthmic Heads elements and Eno mid-song freakout complement each other perfectly. David Byrne sounds extra paranoid on this track, you gotta love that.

1. "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)": Talking Heads; Speaking In Tongues Where to start? Let's start with a non-hyperbole alert, this is a true not blown out of proportion statement, I know two things that are certainties...first, I will one day die, second, I'll never like another song as much as I like this song. That would be impossible. Another fact of sorts (I may have been exaggerating with "How Soon" and "One More" but everyone, I mean EVERYONE who hears this song immediately loves it, it's a fucking scientifically proven fact of life). If you happen to not like this song...A. you're a liar and B. maybe you shouldn't read this blog anymore. I spoke some of lyrics earlier in the post, well I love the lyrics to this song. I've had many discussions over the meaning of it, many to most people I've encountered think it's a happy song (I've been given the Wallstreet example to reinforce this point, you know the scene in WS where Chuck Sheen buys the cool place on the Upper East Side and yuppie's it out to the max, pasta maker what have you, him and Darryl Hannah seem all happy and in love, this song plays as the montage rolls. So people cite this song as being happy b/c it was used in a happy point in this movie. Well sad to inform you, but if you hold this view you're sadly mistaken. In fact it's a sort of foreshadowing to Chuck's downfall, selling the place, losing the girl, getting thrown in jail. See Chuck was very naive to the fact that he get away with all the insider trading and bad business ethics, much like the melody in this song, very happy sounding, is naive to the actual substance or lyrical content of the song) but it's not, it's about David Byrne not knowing if he's being taken advantage of by a girlfriend (what have you), if she just loves him because he's famous or not. Anyway, in terms of music, the song is flawless. This song is the one thing I'd take to the deserted island if I was allowed it. Perfect.

editor's note: That took awhile

26 Comments:

Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

Sweet list. Ideoteque is one of my top three Radiohead songs and I am now listening to This Must Be the Place on my iPod. Again, sweet list.

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

This Must Be the Place is flat-out amazing. David Byrne's love song sung to a lamp.

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:17:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Thanks fellas, I wonder if DB ever tried to fuck that lamp?

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:17:00 AM

 
Anonymous bones said...

Bravo! Congrats on the completion of the list. Good stuff, man. And since I don't know shit about dance or brit pop (or even the proper "name" of these styles of music), this was quite the educational exercise for me. Looking forward to numbers 101-200 next week!!! (just kidding)

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CGP, I have never liked your british music, but you did get me started on the Talking Heads, for which I am forever in your debt. Good work!
Chris

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:37:00 AM

 
Anonymous kaplan said...

Overall, a pretty solid list. However, Im upset not to see an Interpol song in the top 20. Sanders pushed them on me, and now i dont know if ive heard a better rock band in the past 15 years. I've found the future of rock and roll, and their names are Interpol.

Friday, October 28, 2005 11:18:00 AM

 
Anonymous kaplan said...

oh yeah, what would a list be without some complaints or disagreements. There is absolutely no way that Daft Punk should ever see the light of day on a top 10 all time songs list. What's next, Tone Loc?, Disco? booooooo. Lets insert "The Cutter" by Echo and the Bunnymen, and we'll try to slowly regain your respect.

Friday, October 28, 2005 11:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

I saw David Byrne perform three songs on some program that I don't quite remember, right around the time Grown Backwards hit the shelves. I believe he did mention fucking a few lamps in his day. What character that dude is.

Friday, October 28, 2005 11:55:00 AM

 
Anonymous Chops said...

You know, that whole thing on "Idioteche" and Radiohead perfectly sums it all up. Wow.

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:45:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Kapps, if I'm not mistaken song #17 "A Time To Be So Small" is still sung by Interpol, they had three songs on the list, not bad for only having two albums (I totally agree with you though, they are probably my favorite band of the last 10-15 years, I still listen to Antics and TOTBL like someone is about to steal them from me). I knew Daft Punk in the top 10 would illicit some hate mail, can't please everyone. Yeah Chops, Radiohead (although I still love them) need to clear their heads, HTTT was a disappointment in my eyes, although it had some good tunes, I don't really find myself listening to too much post Kid A Radiohead, they still put on an incredible live show though. I saw D. Byrne last summer at the Ga. Theater, he played "Naive Melody" and I almost shit myself, unfortunately he didn't have a lamp onstage.

Friday, October 28, 2005 2:32:00 PM

 
Blogger CHW said...

Excellent way to top it off. I love that whole Cure album - their finest moment, in my mind.

Friday, October 28, 2005 3:47:00 PM

 
Anonymous kaplan said...

sorry, couldnt find the link to songs 11-20 for reference, because they were at the bottom of the page :)

Friday, October 28, 2005 3:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

hail to the theif tour was crazy cool. they played the hollywood bowl and were practically summoning voodoo on stage.

Friday, October 28, 2005 4:03:00 PM

 
Blogger TripleJ said...

Damn, damn fine accomplishment. I have been reading and mostly agreeing with you along the way. Though ... I might just take one Talking Heads song in the top 20 - not 2 in the top 2.

But then, that is the beauty of a list.

Friday, October 28, 2005 7:28:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Yeah, HTTT tour was off the heezy, thom yorke needs to stop dancing though, 2 TH songs in the top 2 was a rather ballsy move I know, what can you do though?

Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:05:00 PM

 
Anonymous Fred Krueger (child killer) said...

where is "Monster Mash" in this list?

- Freddy Krueger

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:06:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Yo Fred, it was 101 dawg, just missed out.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:29:00 PM

 
Anonymous max said...

Sanders... well done I like the idea of lists I think you are good at them. Let’s see another list. I know you want to do the top 50 movies or something like that, or maybe a negative list what about the top 50 worst songs ("we don't need to walk around circles" maybe 8)

You sure you don't want to put another Pixies song at like .5 or something so they have total domination of your countdown.

I do think "where is my mind" is an excellent song and worthy of the list 7 maybe a little high but a great song.

However, 1 song does not make them great.

Kinda like Cisco and "The song" unbelievable song, the rest of his stuff could not live up.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:42:00 AM

 
Blogger sasefina said...

Nice work with the list. Love #1 and I sometimes feel that way about that song, but I don't listen to it as much as I would like to because I am afraid I will wear it out.

I think I'd have some of the other bands you named on my top 10 list as well - but different songs. Like I'd do Bizarre Love Triangle instead of Blue Monday, Pictures of You instead of Disintegration, Around the World instead of One More Time, and Morning Bell instead of Idioteque. Never got into the Doves though, and am surprised you rated them so highly. I've not been able to think of them as anything but highly derivative.

But a damn fine list. Now I'm off to listen to Naive Melody.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:46:00 AM

 
Anonymous odd baby names said...

cgpop, Great ideas! I've been researching and would be most interested in hearing more of your thoughts on .in particular.

Friday, November 18, 2005 8:28:00 AM

 
Anonymous free baby shower games said...

Hey cgpop,

Your blog "this post", leads me to believe you will find my information on baby shower invitations and other baby subjects to be beneficial.

You are also welcome to publish your own experiences on babies in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog. If you have a few minutes to spare, please have a look at my articles on babies names and baby stuff now!

Best Wishes
Emily

Sunday, November 27, 2005 5:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Phendimetrazine drug price Connecting cisco switch to d-link virginia registrar Retirement planning canada calculator Okapi toy printer repair cleveland http://www.services-incorporating.info/Marcstaalfromhockey.html Salt lake city utah motel Insurancestate farm insurance bank hockey equiptment Financial planning excel template south shore hockey How do cancer cells reproduce

Monday, February 05, 2007 5:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:44:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:56:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

Friday, March 16, 2007 11:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home