same as it ever was (talking heads)

Monday, October 17, 2005

Favorite 100 Songs List: 20-11

20. "Monkey Gone To Heaven": The Pixies; Doolittle Everything mixes perfectly on this song, bass, lead guitar, backing and lead vocals. The strings employed also make this odd song sound quite pop.

19. "Da Art of Storytellin' (part 1): Outkast; Aquemini Wah Wah Wah say the Charlie Brown adults. This has to be the best lyrical rap song of all time, not talking about "ice" or "bling" just how life in da hood is yo's. Anyway heartfelt lyrics and catchy as hell, that's Outkast for ya.

18. "Sing": Blur; Trainspotting Soundtrack A haunting piano and drums drive this song. Atmospheric and experimental, simply put Blur at their best. Graham Coxon also shreds. Blur had the most songs (6) on this countdown, well done mates.

17. "A Time To Be So Small": Interpol; Antics I can't stop listening to this song, it is the song I've listened to the most in the past year and a half. Maybe Paul Banks best vocal performance yet (that's saying a lot in my book) talking about cadavers and stuff. Between the 2:15 and 3:50 portion of this song, it may be my second favorite musical moment of all-time, completely firing on all cylinders, in the zone Jordan style.

16. "Here To Stay": New Order; 24 Hour Party People Sdtrk. The movie was a letdown but as the credits rolled I was mesmerized. "Who the fuck is that?" I thought, "Holy shit, that's a new New Order song, that kicks ass!", get in car and drive to local music outlet, purchase CD even though I already most of the other good songs on the album. Totally worth it for this near 5 minutes of bliss.

15. "Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)": The Clash; Sandinista! First entry from The Clash on the countdown. It's so hard for me to pick Clash songs since their output is so outstanding. This is rocking (not punk or Jamaican) Clash at its best. The fade back in at the end of this song actually works, and it never works. This album is a must own too, my favorite of theirs.

14. "High": The Cure; Wish A totally under-rated Cure album, gets some slack b/c of omnipresent radio hit "Friday I'm in Love", but it's almost as good as Disintegration in my book (blastphemy I know). Anyway, this is the highlight of the album, should have been a much larger hit than "Friday" but people are stupid. Fucking wind chimes and Robert Smith in an ultra-weird video.

13. "Revolution Rock": The Clash; London Calling "It is a brand new rock", I think that line kind of sums up what the Clash did, total original musical icons. Reggae influence in full swing on this song. A cheese grater!? I'm in a state of shock!

12. "New Year's Day": U2; War U2 are, amoungst other things, stadium rock (a genre people, who really like music, hate) icons. Like them are not, this "stadium rocker" is undeniable, the best they've ever done. Edge really defines U2's sound never more evident than here. Also I urge people to listen to this album again, they were really trying to many different sounds on this album (showing that they were always musically adventurous, even before Bono begged Brian Eno to work with them, great example is "Red Light"). Easily a top ten favorite all-time album of mine.

11. "Lips Like Sugar": Echo & The Bunnymen; Echo & The Bunnymen I worshipped this song in high school, floored the first time I heard it. It still stands up after all of these years, a jangling new wave masterpiece, with wonderful vocals from Ian McCulloch. Top ten and an end to the countdown coming soon...

19 Comments:

Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

you are so close to the #1 song. nervous?

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:31:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Shaking as I type.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:16:00 AM

 
Anonymous Max said...

This might as well be the Pixies countdown. I am putting them on my list of cgpop’s most overrated bands.

I am also nervous about number 1. Even though I am pretty sure I know it. I am worried another Pixies song may be the winner.

I think everyone should try and guess what its going to be I’m disqualifying myself since I know it, I think.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:18:00 AM

 
Anonymous Max said...

Also, "Lips Like Sugar" is excellent I would have loved it if "The Killing Moon" made it as well but I am doubtful it will be in the top 10.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous elliott said...

simmer down, max. you don't seem so riled up about blur being on the list so many times. as for #1, i don't think it's a pixies song.

and i'm ashamed to call myself a new order fan since i have no clue what "here to stay" sounds like. but it is described as "technique-flavored", so it must be good.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

speaking of new order, I heard "regret" this past weekend on the radio. I still think of that as a "new" New Order song, though I bet it's now 10+ years old.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:41:00 PM

 
Blogger U2isOverratedandSucksTerribly-WorstBandEver said...

I am pretty sure that U2, Radiohead, and/or the Pixies have never produced, written, or played a top 100 song in their life...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

I don't agree with all of your rankings, but I say fuck it, it's your list, man...your blog. I've declared that twice on mine as sort of a "screw you I'll do what I want" kind of thing. As a blogger, you must be Master of your Domain (URL). All in all, sweet countdown. If I don't see that #1 soon I may shit myself in my fucking cubicle.

Peace

Y2

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:42:00 PM

 
Anonymous Max said...

I did not mean to get riled up, I think the countdown as a whole has been good and entertaining hats of to Sanders. I also agree with the Pirate it’s his Blog and he should put whatever the hell he wants on it.

However, I think Sanders enjoys a little controversy over his lists he likes that, so when I see a good song that I like, I give it respect, love, props or whatever and just as often I like to put my two cents in on the bad ones and the Pixies are certainly that especially when they make the list 8 or 9 times.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

Pirate! Yes!

No attacks coming from this corner. I agree 100 percent, Maximillian. Just had to say it, man.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:44:00 PM

 
Anonymous Max said...

Arrgh!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:15:00 PM

 
Blogger U2isOverratedandSucksTerribly-WorstBandEver said...

I am still bitter that Britney, Ashlee Simpson, and/or Peter, Paul and Mary are not showing up on this.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:05:00 PM

 
Blogger The Captain of the Ship said...

as long as the clash got some shout outs as they rightfully deserve, what with being the only band that matters, and tom waits too, then flood the list with the entire pixies catalog if you want. i love those kids. i got your back, man. granted im like, 5'7" and a buck twenty dripping wet, but i'm surly, and i feel that counts for something, right? bring it!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:01:00 PM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Hey dude I like the Pixies, sue me. They've only made the list twice (so far). I was recently speaking to someone about the list and there really isn't too much difference between numbers, say, 89 and 24 (for example) I just picked a lot of songs I really liked and had to assign #'s (seeing as it is a list). The top ten though are pretty stout and locked in as, meaning I definitely like #10 better than #30 and so forth. Anyway glad for the great comments. Fuck Peter Paul and Mary.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

pixies r good shee-it.

This is a song for Carol
Your into Japanese fastfood
And I drop you off with your Japanese lover
And you're going to the beach all day
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:14:00 AM

 
Anonymous kaplan said...

like the list, but im going to love critiquing it much more.

i guess i cant argue with New Year's Day on the list so high. but honestly, i can think of about 6 songs i'd rather listen to, ON THAT ALBUM, other than that. hey, but its your blog man.

the clash songs listed in 11-20 are great ones, but best songs ever? by them? sanders, did you pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue?

by the way, i loved the movie 24 hour party people. mostly because of the overall drooling of my beloved mondays.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:19:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Kapps, your opinions are duley noted. That sniffing glue comment was a bit unneccesary though, I'll never ever stop sniffing glue.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 4:37:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've Made My First Affiliate Commission!

See How I Did It Here - It's Quick And Easy!

medical product

Monday, November 07, 2005 4:32:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home