same as it ever was (talking heads)

Thursday, January 05, 2006

"Vineland" an excerpt

On the screen, the weather crew had fallen queerly silent. At first Frensei wondered if the sound had gone out, but then one of them laughed nervously and the others joined in. It would happen again before suddenly, unannounced, a preacher with a hand mike, in front of a great luminous cross, appeared on the screen in stylishly long sideburns and a leisure suit of some lurid brick-colored synthetic. "Looks like we're in the hands of Jesus again," he announced. "Someday, with the right man in the White House, there will be a department of Jesus, yes and a secretary of Jesus, and he'll be talking to you all, on a nationwide hookup, instead of this old ignoramous from the piney woods. No friends, I'm no expert, wouldn't know a suction vortex if it walked up and said bless you brother- ah but I do know how men of Science measure tornadoes, and that's on what they call the Fujita Intensity Scale. But folks, maybe today that name should be Fu-Jesus..."

editor's note: Vineland (published 1990). Scarey shit indeed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous bones said...

Coincedentally, my sister-in-law recommended I read this while I while I was visiting on Thanksgiving. Sounds awesome. Wished I'd taken it home with me. I took The Crying of Lot 49 cause it was smaller and took up less room in my bag. So far, pretty hilarious.

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:17:00 AM

 
Blogger cgpop said...

Dude, I really need to read Crying of Lot 49. Pynchon is awesome, I've got a little over a hundred pages left in Vineland, I'll let you borrow it.

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:18:00 AM

 
Anonymous bones said...

Hell yeah, thanks!

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:57:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! vegas medical malpractice http://www.celexa-quitting.info tadalafil no prior prescription Polo pants Automobile company in insurance Indiana rod welding injury law suit lawyers Levitra+dosage See thru blouses Mp3 players what they are Perscription drugs clomid African safari website templates Coq10 erectile dysfunction clothing knit blouses nordstrom Ibm thinkpad 600x dvd player Msr+water+filter 20mg dose of levitra Levitra tablets Seat vibrator Browse 220 1 browse 220 1 buy meridia Breast augmentation masage

Monday, March 05, 2007 6:48:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site video editing schools

Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:20:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home